Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Learning Module 5: Blog Reflection


            Overall, I found this week’s blogging helpful and enlightening because I am constantly on the hunt for ways I can improve or be more efficient with my work. I truly believe that continual education, both informal and formal, is the best way students and professionals can rejuvenate their creative minds and develop areas that need to be developed. This week’s blogging is a prime example of how sharing information on best practices can shed light on different criterion we can incorporate in our own course without having to experience the pitfalls of utilizing criteria that were less effective in student satisfaction and engagement. For example, two of my classmates mention “the Community of Inquiry [as a set of criteria that] brings a basis for the actual functional e-learning course” (Fisher, 2013), which was an idea I never put a lot of thought into. Even though I listed some aspects of the Community of Inquiry on my list of best criteria, I felt interactions among classmates and instructor was more important—as well as more influential with it comes to the experiential aspect of a student’s learning.

            Janet Canning explains this notion of student interaction best by saying, “Students are engaged on a daily basis with interacting with social networking sites… [so] it is natural then for students to want to engage in interaction.” Therefore, it is not only crucial to create an engaging environment for students and instructors to interact, but research has shown that online learners “need to feel motivated and satisfied in an e-learning course” (Sakoonphong, 2013) in order for learners to be successful.  Interestingly, I realized these interactions among students and facilitators and satisfaction and motivation in an online class have a symbiotic relationship because these connections are what learners need to achieve the outcomes design for a course—as well as attain the level of satisfaction in a course to either recommend the course or take another e-learning class.

No comments:

Post a Comment