Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Learning Module 1


Hi Class,

My name is Melissa Sakoonphong and I am a second year graduate student in the Educational Counseling and Guidance program at CSUSB.  In addition to being a graduate student, I also work at Chaffey Community College as a Counselor Apprentice.  My hopes and educational goals for this class is to learn as much as possible about e-learning, earn an e-learning certificate, work towards a M.A in Instructional Technology and/or Ed.D. More importantly, my professional goals for this course is to use the knowledge from this course and apply it to online guidance instruction, train new competent counselors, and ultimately develop a tool that will help counselors track and quantify one-on-one student sessions so community colleges can adequately allocate resources to increase graduation rates.   

My prior experiences with e-learning have been limited to online and hybrid courses at the community college level from an end-user’s perspective, and one E-Learning Design and Development course,  so I still have quite a way to go in terms of learning the basics of an e-learning course from an instructor’s point-of-view. Because I am comfortable with learning new technologies and desire an asynchronous type of interaction(s), I prefer online learning as opposed to face-to-face.  Whether the online course utilizes familiar technologies or not I am confident in my ability to learn new things, which is why I am super excited to be a part of this class and hope this course will take me one step closer to helping students achieve their goals.

Definitions for interchangeable terms in E-learning are:

·         Online Learning: is described by Seaman (2011) and Garrison (2011) as content driven and were at least 80% of the course’s content is delivered online.

·         Blending Learning: is also described by Seaman (2011) and Garrison (2011) as a hybrid course that integrates the advantages of face-to-face learning and the strengths of online learning by delivering 30%-79% of the course content online.

·         Distance Learning: is defined as learning at a distance, where teacher and student(s) are separated by time and space and knowledge/skills are mediated by technology at a distance.

The sector I am most interested in is higher education and here are my two articles:

 

O'Neill, K., Singh, G., & O'Donoghue, J. (2004). Implementing elearning programmes for higher education: A review of the literature. Journal of Information

Technology Education, 3(2).

 

Tu, C. H., & Corry, M. (2002). eLearning communities. The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 3(2), 207-218.

 

References:

Frederick B. King, M. F.-R. (n.d). Defining Distance Learning and Distance Education. Educational Technology Review, 1-14.

Garrison, D. R. (2011). E-Learning In The 21st Century: A Framework For Research and Practice. New York: Routledge.

Seaman, J. (2011). Online Learning Trends in Private-Sector Colleges and Universities. Pearson and Babson Survey Research Group, 1-20.

Wikipedia. Retrieved April 10, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_learning

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    Welcome to the class! Thank you for sharing career goal. Glad to hear that you are interested in pursuing M.A in Instructional Technology and finding ways to support counseling and guideance using technology!

    ETEC501 is designed to introduce important issues and trends in e-learning and I am sure that it will be a good course for you to better understand e-learning in general.
    We missed you in the first synchrounous meeting. Hope that you review the recorded session and join the next meeting.

    Thank you for sharing two resources regarding e-learning trends in higher education. Though the two sources seem to be a bit old (2002, 2004). The prompt is about discussing salient trends of e-learning in your choice of sector. What did you find significant in higher education e-learning trends?

    Keep it up,

    Baek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Professor Baek,
    Thank you for visiting my blog and the nice comments. Unfortunately, I had unforseen circumstances this week that made it impossible to join the call this week, but I will try my best to get on the next call. Lastly, the most significant e-learning trends I've foundin higher education is the evolution of the content delivery and how it is more person/student-centered versus the traditional reading and test-taking.

    ReplyDelete